On this page
- The Colonial Core: Why This Walking Trail Matters
- Where the Trail Begins: Raffles Hotel and Its Storied Past
- Along Beach Road: The War Memorial, Chijmes, and the Blocks in Between
- The Padang and Its Civic Buildings: City Hall, the Supreme Court, and the Green Heart of Colonial Singapore
- St Andrew’s Cathedral: A Gothic Anomaly Built by Convict Labour
- Fort Canning Hill: The Ridge That Ruled Singapore Before Raffles Arrived
- Armenian Church and MICA Building: Hidden Gems Off the Main Route
- The Shophouse Belt: Chinatown and the Streets of Old Singapore
- What to Eat on the Trail: Hawker Centres, Colonial-Era Cafés, and Tiffin Culture
- Practical Walking Tips: Timing, Heat, Transport, and What to Wear
The Colonial Core: Why This Walking Trail Matters
Singapore is a city-state in Southeast Asia that compresses centuries of history into a few dense square kilometres along the Singapore River. What makes it unusual among Asian capitals is how deliberately it has preserved the physical grammar of British colonial rule — not as a concession to nostalgia, but because those buildings, padangs, and promenades form the structural backbone of the modern city. The walking trail from Raffles Hotel to City Hall covers less than two kilometres in a straight line, yet it passes through some of the most architecturally layered ground in the region. Along the way, you encounter Palladian colonnades, Gothic spires, Baroque civic facades, and shophouse terraces, all within a neighbourhood still very much in daily use. This is not a museum District — it is Singapore’s administrative and cultural engine, and understanding it means understanding how a fishing village became one of the world’s wealthiest nations in under two centuries.
Where the Trail Begins: Raffles Hotel and Its Storied Past
The logical starting point is the corner of Beach Road and Bras Basah Road, where Raffles Hotel stands behind a long white colonnade of Sikh-guarded gates. Opened in 1887 by the Armenian Sarkies brothers, the hotel was built to accommodate the surge of European merchants, administrators, and adventurers who passed through Singapore on the steamship routes connecting Europe to East Asia. The main building — the Long Bar block and the Palm Court wings — is a study in late Victorian Venetian Renaissance architecture, with arched verandas, teak louvred shutters, and terracotta floor tiles that seem to absorb the afternoon heat rather than reflect it.
The hotel underwent a thorough restoration in 2019, reopening with its original 1915 layout more or less intact. The Long Bar, where bartender Ngiam Tong Boon invented the Singapore Sling in 1915, is still accessible to walk-in visitors during certain hours. The drink itself — gin, cherry liqueur, Bénédictine, and pineapple juice — is a colonial-era concoction that tastes unmistakably of its time and place. Sit on the rattan chairs, order one if you like, and look up at the ceiling fans turning slowly above. The building earns its landmark status not because of the price of a cocktail but because of how faithfully it captures a specific moment in Singapore’s past.
Behind the main building, the hotel’s courtyard garden contains a collection of low-rise wings added in the 1920s and 1930s, including the Billiard Room and the former servants’ quarters, now repurposed as boutiques and the hotel’s museum, which is free to browse. Spend twenty minutes here before heading south toward the Padang.
Along Beach Road: The War Memorial, Chijmes, and the Blocks in Between
Walking southwest from Raffles along Beach Road immediately confronts you with a shift in scale. The War Memorial, known locally as the Chopsticks Monument for the obvious reason — four white columns rising 67 metres from a shared base — stands in a small park just across the road from the hotel. Formally called the Civilian War Memorial, it commemorates the civilians of all four communities (Chinese, Malay, Indian, and Eurasian) killed during the Japanese Occupation between 1942 and 1945. The design by Swan and Maclaren, Singapore’s oldest architectural firm, is deliberately non-colonial in character: abstract, modern, and multicultural. It is one of the few memorials in Singapore that disrupts the colonial narrative rather than extending it, and for that reason alone it deserves more than a passing glance.
Turning inland onto Bras Basah Road brings you past the Raffles City complex, a 1986 I.M. Pei tower block that was controversial at the time for its height in a low-rise precinct, and then to Chijmes, the converted convent complex that is one of the trail’s genuinely surprising detours. Originally built in 1841 as a French Catholic convent school (the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, which gives the acronym its meaning), the compound includes a Gothic chapel, a series of neo-Renaissance school buildings, and a walled garden. The chapel’s stained glass windows — 26 panels depicting scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary — are among the finest Victorian ecclesiastical glass in Southeast Asia. The convent was deconsecrated in 1983 and the complex was converted into a restaurant and events venue in 1996. It is now one of the better-preserved adaptive reuse projects in the city, and you can walk through the grounds and into the chapel without paying anything.
The Padang and Its Civic Buildings: City Hall, the Supreme Court, and the Green Heart of Colonial Singapore
The Padang — the word means “field” in Malay — is the unbuilt space that makes the colonial district make sense. This 4.3-hectare rectangle of trimmed grass has functioned since the 1820s as the social and ceremonial centre of British Singapore: cricket matches, military parades, public gatherings, and the site where, on 12 September 1945, Lord Louis Mountbatten accepted the Japanese surrender in Southeast Asia. The cricket club at the northern end still operates, one of the oldest sporting clubs in Asia, with a Victorian pavilion that has barely changed since the 1880s. Non-members cannot enter, but the exterior is easily visible from the perimeter path.
The two buildings that frame the Padang’s western edge — City Hall and the Old Supreme Court — were officially merged in 2015 into the National Gallery Singapore, one of the largest visual art museums in Southeast Asia, with a collection of around 10,000 works focused on Singapore and Southeast Asian modernism. City Hall, completed in 1929, is the more assertive of the two: a long Corinthian colonnade of 18 columns across a 183-metre facade, designed by the Public Works Department under F.D. Meadows. It is the building where the Japanese surrender was announced, where Lee Kuan Yew proclaimed self-governance in 1959, and where Singapore declared independence in 1965. The weight of twentieth-century history that has passed through that portico is difficult to overstate.
The Old Supreme Court next door, completed in 1939, is slightly more ornate: a Palladian dome, friezes depicting Justice and related allegorical figures, and an interior that retains its original teak-panelled courtrooms. The conversion connected the two buildings with a stunning glass and steel atrium — designed by studioMilou Singapore — that floods what was once an open courtyard with diffused natural light. Entry to the National Gallery costs around SGD 20 for adults, but the ground-floor areas and the connecting passage between the two buildings are free to walk through.
St Andrew’s Cathedral: A Gothic Anomaly Built by Convict Labour
Set back from Coleman Street behind an open lawn, St Andrew’s Cathedral is the most architecturally incongruous building on the trail — a Gothic Revival church in a tropical city, built largely by Indian convict labourers between 1856 and 1862. The original church on this site was a simpler affair, struck by lightning twice and demolished; the current building was designed by Colonel Ronald MacPherson of the Madras Engineers and is among the finest examples of Early English Gothic architecture outside of Britain.
What is most remarkable is the material: the walls are finished in Madras chunam, a traditional plaster made from egg white, shell lime, coarse sugar, and coconut husk, burnished to a smooth, gleaming white that is both intensely bright in the midday sun and surprisingly cool to the touch. The interior is austere by English cathedral standards — long nave, pointed arches, minimal ornamentation — which somehow suits the climate better than more elaborate Victorian interiors would. The stained glass in the windows was added at various points in the twentieth century as memorials to individuals and events, including a window dedicated to the nurses who died during the Japanese Occupation.
The cathedral is a functioning Anglican church and is open to visitors every day. There is no entry charge. Guides are sometimes available on weekday mornings. It is worth visiting even if ecclesiastical architecture is not usually your interest, because it anchors the colonial district with a seriousness and material weight that the civic buildings, for all their grandeur, do not quite achieve.
Fort Canning Hill: The Ridge That Ruled Singapore Before Raffles Arrived
A short walk south from the cathedral takes you to Fort Canning Hill, the 40-metre ridge that has been the strategic heart of Singapore for at least seven centuries. The Malay kings of the Singapura sultanate ruled from this hill in the fourteenth century; Raffles built his bungalow here in 1822; the British Army maintained a fort on the summit from 1861; and in the Second World War, this was where Lieutenant-General Arthur Percival made the decision to surrender Singapore to Japanese forces on 13 February 1942 — a decision made in the underground Battle Box, which has been converted into a museum you can visit with a guided tour.
The hill itself is now a park, and a well-maintained network of paths winds up through monsoon forest to the summit, where the old Gothic gate, the archaeological excavation trenches (which have yielded fourteenth-century Javanese gold jewellery and Chinese porcelain), and the colonial-era cemetery containing the graves of early European settlers create an atmosphere entirely unlike anywhere else in Singapore. The trees are enormous — some of them planted in the nineteenth century — and even in midday heat the canopy provides enough shade to make the twenty-minute climb worthwhile. The Battle Box museum is run by the Battlebox team and charges a separate entry fee; book online in advance as tour spots fill quickly.
Fort Canning Hill gives the colonial walking trail its deepest temporal layer. Standing at the summit, you are standing on ground where authority has been exercised for seven hundred years, across four different civilisations. That is a rare thing to encounter in a city that often projects an image of relentless newness.
Armenian Church and MICA Building: Hidden Gems Off the Main Route
The Armenian Church of St Gregory the Illuminator, tucked into a corner of Hill Street, is the oldest Christian church in Singapore, completed in 1835 to a design by George Drumgoole Coleman, the Irish architect who shaped much of early colonial Singapore. Coleman’s style is Palladian with a tropical adjustment — wide verandas, high ceilings, and whitewashed walls that maximise light while minimising heat absorption. The small circular church seats fewer than a hundred people and is startling in its elegance given its modest scale. The graves in the churchyard include that of Agnes Joaquim, who is credited with cultivating the hybrid orchid that became Singapore’s national flower, Vanda Miss Joaquim. The church is still consecrated and holds services for the tiny remaining Armenian community.
Directly across the road, the former Hill Street Police Station — now the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA) building — is one of the most visually distinctive facades in the colonial district. Built in 1934 in a style that mixes Classical Revival with Art Deco detailing, it is most famous for its 927 windows, each painted in one of six rainbow colours in a gradient sequence that covers the entire building. The effect is simultaneously bizarre and joyful — a government building that looks as though it has decided not to take itself entirely seriously. The ground floor is accessible and contains some gallery space. Most visitors simply photograph the exterior and move on, which is a reasonable response.
The Shophouse Belt: Chinatown and the Streets of Old Singapore
The colonial trail is not only about grand civic monuments. Extending south and west from the Padang along South Bridge Road and Ann Siang Hill, the city’s shophouse terraces form an equally important layer of the built heritage. These two-storey and three-storey terrace houses — built predominantly between 1880 and 1940 — follow a format that is distinctly Straits Chinese: a covered five-foot-way at ground level, upper floors with louvred shutters, and facades decorated in a mixture of Baroque, Islamic, and Chinese motifs that reflects the blended culture of the Peranakan community that built them.
Club Street, Amoy Street, and Duxton Hill have largely been taken over by restaurants and wine bars, but the buildings themselves are intact and the street proportions have not changed. Walking along Tanjong Pagar Road in the early morning before the lunch crowd arrives gives a clearer sense of what this neighbourhood looked like in the 1930s: provision shops still operating from the ground floors of century-old buildings, the smell of coffee and incense, cats sleeping in the five-foot-ways. The Urban Redevelopment Authority has maintained strict conservation guidelines in Chinatown since the 1989 conservation plan, which is why the area feels coherent rather than fragmentary.
The Baba House on Neil Road is the most complete surviving Peranakan townhouse in Singapore, maintained by the National University of Singapore and open for guided tours on a pre-booking basis. It was built around 1895 and the interior — silk embroidery, Nyonya porcelain, carved teak furniture, and joss stick holders — is an extraordinary document of what a prosperous Straits Chinese household looked and felt like at the peak of the colonial era.
What to Eat on the Trail: Hawker Centres, Colonial-Era Cafés, and Tiffin Culture
The colonial district sits within walking distance of some of Singapore’s best food, and the range spans every price point. The most important stop for anyone doing this trail on a budget is the Lau Pa Sat Festival Market on Raffles Quay, a cast-iron Victorian market building designed by James MacRitchie and shipped from Glasgow in 1894. The structure — ornate iron columns, arched windows, an octagonal footprint — is a remarkable piece of Victorian prefabricated architecture, and the hawker stalls operating inside it are serious. The satay stalls that set up along Boon Tat Street in the evenings are the best known, but the laksa, Hainanese chicken rice, and char kway teow stalls inside the building are equally worth your attention. Expect to pay SGD 5 to SGD 10 for a full hawker meal.
For something that connects more directly to colonial food culture, the Raffles Hotel Tiffin Room serves the traditional buffet curry lunch — a colonial-era format that has been running continuously since the early twentieth century. It is expensive by Singapore standards (around SGD 60 to SGD 80 per person) but the setting is authentic, the curries are made to traditional recipes, and the ritual of eating in that dining room feels genuinely connected to the history you have been walking through all morning.
On a more casual note, the Ya Kun Kaya Toast chain has an outlet in Far East Square, a few minutes from the Lau Pa Sat, and it is the best introduction to the traditional Singaporean breakfast: thick-cut bread toasted over charcoal, spread with kaya (a coconut and egg jam), served with half-boiled eggs and strong kopi (local coffee brewed with a cloth filter and mixed with sweetened condensed milk). The Ya Kun outlet at Far East Square dates from 1944 and still uses the original recipe. Breakfast here costs SGD 5 to SGD 8 per person and takes about twenty minutes — exactly the right interlude between the shophouse walk and the Padang.
For afternoon coffee near the National Gallery, the Courtyard Café inside the gallery building serves decent pastries and coffee in an air-conditioned space with views of the glass atrium — useful both for the refreshment and for the half-hour of cooler air it provides at the point in the day when the heat is usually at its worst.
Practical Walking Tips: Timing, Heat, Transport, and What to Wear
The full trail from Raffles Hotel to Fort Canning Hill, including the Armenian Church and the Baba House detour, covers approximately five to six kilometres of actual walking, with an additional forty metres of elevation gain on the Fort Canning climb. Most reasonably fit walkers complete it in four to five hours, including time spent inside Chijmes, the National Gallery, and St Andrew’s Cathedral.
The single most important practical consideration is heat. Singapore sits one degree north of the equator and the temperature on a clear day typically reaches 31–33°C by late morning, with humidity above 80 percent. Starting the walk before 8:30am — when Raffles Hotel’s lobby is already open to visitors and the Padang is in morning shadow — makes a significant difference. The trail can also be done in reverse in the late afternoon, starting at Fort Canning around 3:30pm and finishing at Raffles for early drinks as the temperature drops after 5pm.
Rain is a year-round possibility, and a brief heavy downpour at any point is likely regardless of the season. The covered five-foot-ways of the shophouse terraces and the colonnades of City Hall provide shelter, and most of the heritage buildings have covered entrance areas. A small umbrella is worth carrying; a waterproof jacket is overkill.
Footwear matters more than people expect. The Fort Canning path has some uneven stone sections, and the cobblestoned lanes around Chinatown are harder on the feet than they look. Supportive flat shoes or light trail shoes are better than sandals for a full day on this route.
The nearest MRT stations to each end of the trail are City Hall station (served by the North-South and East-West lines) for the Raffles end, and Clarke Quay station (North-East line) or Fort Canning station (Downtown Line) for the western end. Both stations are air-conditioned and within a five-minute walk of their respective starting points. Singapore’s MRT is clean, punctual, and charges distance-based fares that rarely exceed SGD 2 for any single journey within the central district. A stored-value EZ-Link card, available from any MRT station, is the most convenient way to pay.
For those who want guided context rather than independent exploration, the Urban Redevelopment Authority runs free guided walking tours of the civic district on selected weekends, departing from the National Gallery. The quality of the guides is high — most have architectural or heritage backgrounds — and the tours last around ninety minutes, covering the Padang precinct in detail. Booking is required and slots open on the URA website approximately two weeks in advance.
One final note: the buildings on this trail are almost all in active use as hotels, government offices, courts, galleries, and churches. Dress modestly when entering St Andrew’s Cathedral and the Armenian Church — covered shoulders and no shorts is the standard guideline — and be aware that some wings of City Hall are accessible only during gallery operating hours. The National Gallery is closed on Tuesdays. Everything else on the trail is accessible seven days a week, and the outdoor sections — the Padang, Fort Canning Hill, the shophouse streets — are best experienced in the morning light of a weekday, when the weekend crowds have not yet arrived.
Explore more
Marina Bay’s Architectural Marvels: A Design Lover’s Complete Guide
📷 Featured image by Mike Enerio on Unsplash.